Holiday China Tour  
Tour Guide >>  China Pre-Departure Info >>  Visas, Embassies and Regulations >> China Tourist Visa Requirements
China Tour Cities, China City Tours
Beijing Tours
Guilin Tour
Xian Tour
Shanghai Tour
Guangzhou Tour
1 2 3 4 5
Popular China Theme Tours
Classic China Tours
Leisure China Tours
China Ancient Town Tours
China Train Tours
China Silk Road Tours
Guilin Photography Tour

China Tourist Visa Requirements

China Tourist Visa Requirements

Tourist Visa (L Visa) is issued to a foreigner who comes to China for sightseeing or for other personal affairs. If you arrive without a valid travel visa, you will not be allowed to enter, may be fined and deported at your own expense immediately. As a matter of fact, the airline will not allow you to board without a proper visa. Visa policies can be amended anytime, so you should contact your local embassy or consulate for the most up-to-date Visa application information.

However the following materials are always needed for your application: (1) A valid original passport with at least one blank page. Pages for endorsements or amendments can not be used as a visa page. The passport should be valid for at least 6 months; (2) One completed Chinese Visa Application Form signed by the applicant. Children's application form can be signed by their parents or guardians; (3) One recent passport photograph affixed to the visa application form. Life photos, copied photos and digital photos printed on ordinary paper are not acceptable.

To apply an L visa (characterized by a short duration of stay, usually 30 days, no more than 90 days, and could not be extended upon expiration), these additional documents are needed: (1)A copy of outward and return flight ticket booking; (2)A copy of Chinese hotel booking (please note the applicants who are below 14 years old or born in China (including Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan) as shown in the passport are not required to provide this). If the applicant is going to stay at a relative or friend's home while visiting China, and therefore unable to provide hotel booking, an invitation letter containing the inviter's home address and telephone, and a copy of the inviter's ID card or residence permit should be provided instead. For applicants who are going to Tibet, an entry permit issued by Tibetan Tourist Bureau is required.

There are some circumstances where no visa is required or you can obtain a visa on arrival:

The truly transit passengers who hold onward tickets do not require a visa provided that they stay in the transit area and depart within 24 hours.

Citizens of Singapore, Brunei and Japan are allowed to enter China without visas for up to 15 days for tourism, including visiting family or friends, or minor business purposes provided they enter through nominated international ports.

Citizens of the following 20 countries are permitted to remain in the Pudong airport, sea port or enter into Shanghai City without a visa, for 48 hours: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, France, Finland, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Italy, Republic of Korea, Luxembourg, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, USA.

Citizens of the following 19 countries are exempt from visa requirements when they travel to Hainan Province as a group organised by International Travel Agencies that have been set up and registered in Hainan Province. The stay is limited to 15 days and travelers are not allowed to leave Hainan: Australia, Austria, Canada, Germany, Great Britain, France, Indonesia, Italy, Republic of Korea, Malaysia, Netherlands, New Zealand, Philippines, Russia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, USA.

Foreign travelers traveling to Hong Kong and Macao Special Administrative Regions (SAR) in tour groups organized by travel agencies registered in these SAR are exempt from visa requirements for entry to limited areas of Guangdong province for up to 6 days when entering via nominated ports.

Chinese citizens including citizens of Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan are allowed to enter China without visas but they still require passports or other travel documents such as a Mainland Travel Permit for Taiwanese.,,
Author/Editor By : HCT